ALUS Northern Sunrise
Where Agriculture and Nature Meet
NSC logo

Located in the beautiful Peace Region of northwestern Alberta, ALUS Northern Sunrise is Canada’s northernmost ALUS community. ALUS Northern Sunrise is a partnership between ALUS and Northern Sunrise County. 

Northern Sunrise County is located east of the Peace and Smoky Rivers. With 94% of its 2.5 million hectares being public land, the remaining 6% is concentrated in agricultural, residential, commercial and recreational areas.

Here at ALUS Northern Sunrise, we work alongside local farmers and ranchers to deploy ALUS green projects. We restore difficult to farm and marginal lands from into environmental projects that generate cleaner air and water, wildlife habitat and other ecosystem services.

Our ALUS projects include installing barriers around water bodies, creating, enhancing, and expanding dugouts, implementing livestock watering systems, expanding and restoring riparian buffers, and restoring native grasses, trees, and shrubs in upland areas.

ALUS Northern Sunrise provides professional support and an annual per acre payment for the establishment, maintenance and long-term environmental outcomes of these ecological projects.

Together, ALUS and Northern Sunrise County strive to ensure the sustainability of agriculture, wildlife and natural areas for the benefit of all residents.

NSC logo

Community Links

News & Events

Meet Gene and Emily Plihal, ALUS Trailblazers

Meet Gene and Emily Plihal, ALUS Trailblazers

In Northern Sunrise County, Alberta, a father and daughter are working to preserve wildlife habitat. In 2007, Emily Plihal purchased three quarters of land, primarily to preserve habitat for animals and to restore the natural health of the land. Her father, Gene,...

The 2019 Dave Reid Awards

The 2019 Dave Reid Awards

ALUS Red Deer County participants Tom and Margaret Towers receive the 2019 Dave Reid Award for innovation in the production of ecosystem services on Canadian farms and ranches. On June 4, 2019, a crowd of 50 guests assembled at Rolyn Hills Ranch in Alberta as ALUS...

ALUS Northern Sunrise Coordinator

Katie Bartman

Katie Bartman

10203 101 Ave.
Nampa, AB
T0H 2R0

[email protected]

NSC Watershed Advisory Committee (PAC)

Alberta Agriculture and Forestry (AAF)

Growing Forward 2

Watershed Resiliency and Restoration Program (WRRP)

Smoky Applied Research and Demonstration Association (SARDA)

Peace Country Beef and Forage Association (PCBFA)

Mighty Peace Watershed Alliance (MPWA)

Aquality Environmental Consulting Ltd.

Julien Pagé

ALUS Montérégie PAC Chair, and 1st Vice-President of the Montérégie UPA Federation

Christian St-Jacques

Farmer and former President, Fédération de l’UPA de la Montérégie

Charles Boulerice

Farmer, and President, Syndicat de l’UPA la Vallée-du-Richelieu

Florent Raymond

Farmer, Hazen-Bleury et de la Barbotte committee

André Mousseau

Farmer and President, Syndicat de l’UPA Vallée maskoutaine

Martin Berger

Farmer andmember of the Pot au Beurre et AgriClimat project committee

Claude Vasseur

Farmer and former Vice-President, Syndicat de l’UPA du Haut-Richelieu 

Marie-Laure Marcotte

Agronomist at Groupe ProConseil and member of the Huron River committee 

Marcel Comiré

General Manager, COVABAR 

Annie Tremblay

Agronomist at Agri Conseils Maska 

Renée Gagnon

Executive Director, CIME Haut-Richelieu

Get in Touch

3 + 8 =