UPA Montérégie and ALUS are celebrating the 5th anniversary of the ALUS Montérégie program.
Launched in 2016, the ALUS Montérégie program is a partnership between ALUS Canada and the Fédération de l’UPA de la Montérégie, a branch of the provincial farmer’s union headquartered in the South Shore region of Montreal.
The program covers the 14 regional county municipalities in the territory, including several watersheds: the Huron, Hazen-Bleury, de la Barbotte, Vaudreuil-Soulanges and Yamaska.
The program is coordinated by the Fédération de l’UPA de la Montérégie’s agri-environmental agents, with the support of a Partnership Advisory Committee (PAC) made up of producers, agricultural stakeholders and environmental organizations.
ALUS Montérégie now has 15 participants, managing and maintaining 34 ALUS projects. They have already devoted nearly 50 acres (more than 20 hectares) to the production of cleaner air, cleaner water, habitat for pollinators, fish and other wildlife, as part of a full suite of ecological services that benefit Quebec’s communities.
Working together, ALUS is making concrete improvements to water quality and biodiversity, as well as developing a more harmonious coexistence between agriculture and the environment.
The ALUS Montérégie team has done a stellar job developing the first ALUS program in Quebec, particularly the PAC Chair, Christian Saint Jacques, who is also the President of the Federation de l’UPA de la Montérégie, and the ALUS program coordinators, Yasmina Larbi-Youcef and César Largaespada.
ALUS Montérégie Partnership Advisory Committee :
- Julien Pagé, ALUS Montérégie PAC Chair, and 1st Vice-President of the Montérégie UPA Federation;
- Christian St-Jacques, Farmer and former President, Fédération de l’UPA de la Montérégie;
- Charles Boulerice, Farmer, and President, Syndicat de l’UPA la Vallée-du-Richelieu
- Florent Raymond, Farmer, Hazen-Bleury et de la Barbotte committee;
- André Mousseau, Farmer and President, Syndicat de l’UPA Vallée maskoutaine;
- Martin Berger, Farmer andmember of the Pot au Beurre et AgriClimat project committee;
- Claude Vasseur, Farmer and former Vice-President, Syndicat de l’UPA du Haut-Richelieu;
- Marie-Laure Marcotte, Agronomist at Groupe ProConseil and member of the Huron River committee;
- Marcel Comiré, General Manager, COVABAR;
- Annie Tremblay, Agronomist at Agri Conseils Maska;
- Renée Gagnon, Executive Director, CIME Haut-Richelieu.
News & Events in Montérégie
Announcing a $100K New Acre™ Project sponsorship by Silk®, contributing to the brand’s mission of promoting healthier eating and living for all Canadians.
ALUS Canada launches new booklets to help farmers and ranchers monitor ALUS projects for best successPosted June 30, 2020 in Quebec
ALUS Canada launches new booklets to help farmers and ranchers monitor ALUS projects for best success.
How ALUS helps Quebec farmer Oliver Martin ensure his land produces habitat for turtles, fish, frogs, pollinators, birds and other wildlife, while also benefitting his family and communities downstream for generations to come.
Agri Conseil Maska
The ALUS Montérégie program is currently seeking partners to support the expansion of the ALUS program in Quebec over the next few years. For more information, please contact the program coordinators