Position: French Communications Manager
Location: Anywhere in Canada
Type: Permanent, full-time
Apply before : February 19, 2024
ALUS is a national charitable organization that harnesses the land, skills and knowledge of farmers and ranchers to deliver nature-based solutions to biodiversity loss and climate change for communities and future generations. ALUS relies on the support of governments, corporations and philanthropic foundations that invest in its nature-based climate solutions to generate positive environmental, economic and social benefits in their communities.
ALUS is built on an intrapreneurial, caring and inclusive work culture, and offers a decentralized work environment.
In this newly created role, reporting to the Senior Director of Communications and Quebec Lead, you will be responsible for ALUS’ French-language communications as well as media relations, in addition to participating in the creation of various content and collaborating on various communication and marketing projects. You will contribute to the strategic communications and marketing plan and ensure that ALUS achieves its growth objectives while supporting the organization’s overall vision. You will contribute to ALUS’ outreach by developing initiatives tailored to our various target audiences on all our platforms and in both official languages.
You will also work with different project teams within ALUS as needed. ALUS is an agile organization that relies on everyone’s ability to respond to multiple priorities on an ongoing basis and wants to provide internal professional development opportunities.
This is a unique chance to join a growing national organization and make a meaningful and tangible contribution to the fight against climate change.
This position requires a wide breadth of skills and expertise including administration, management, coordination, financial management, grant writing and reporting, outreach and communications. This position is work-from-home, travel to attend meetings and events will be required.
- Participate in the overall communications/marketing and social media strategy, and contribute to the editorial calendar and its deployment in collaboration with the team.
- Plan and execute on all stages of creation and dissemination of communications / marketing initiatives under their responsibility.
- Develop content primarily in French that resonates with the organization’s values and addresses the concerns of diverse target audiences and/or translate and adapt content from English to French.
- Support communications with media, partners and donors, mainly in French, but also in English.
- Collaborate in the maintenance and updating of the website, social media, newsletters and other internal and external communications platforms. Participate in their development and continuous improvement.
- Monitor the results of various initiatives under their responsibility using analytical tools and produce reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate on other ALUS projects and initiatives requiring communications expertise, as well as event organization.
- Support communities, donors and partners in their French-language communications, and participate in the drafting of various documents such as grant applications, presentations or reports.
- Occasionally supervise external resources who create or translate visual, video, audio or written content.
- Keep abreast of current best practices in climate, social media and digital communications, and stay informed on environmental and agricultural issues of interest.
SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- The basics: At least three years’ relevant experience and a university degree in a related field.
- Essential: Flawless written French. Bilingual, written and spoken, English and French.
- Excellent communication skills and high-quality standards: You are committed to telling human stories and informing through quality content. Your quest for the right word is endless, and you have a strong aversion to typos. Content: Passionate about creating and editing written and visual content.
- Content: Passionate about creating and editing written and visual content.
- Digital expertise: Expertise in the use of social media platforms and various digital communication tools (WordPress, MailChimp, Canva). Comfortable using and analyzing web data (Google Analytics). Mastery of the latest SEO strategies.
- Media and partner relations: Experience in media relations, government relations and partner relations is desirable.
- Mindset: You have a high level of personal integrity and excel at working independently on several projects at once. You have a collaborative and creative attitude and enjoy being part of multidisciplinary teams.
- Also: Basic knowledge of the sustainable agriculture concept and previous experience in the environmental non-profit sector are assets, but an innate curiosity and growth mindset are a must.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND COMPENSATION
- Normal working hours are Monday to Friday; 35 hours per week, remote.
- Occasional travel for field visits, events and team meetings.
- Infrequent evening or weekend work as well as occasional travel required to be on the field or for in-person team meetings.
- ALUS Canada does not have a centralized office space; The person will work from a home office, which may be located anywhere in Canada with reliable access to high-speed internet.
- The candidate will be required to work from a computer that can support Microsoft Office 365 for Business, including Teams for video conferences. This may be the candidate’s own computer or a computer provided by ALUS.
- Employees are provided with a benefits package including health, dental, vision, life insurance, and disability insurance.
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience, education and skill set.
Together, we’re improving the world we live in, one acre at a time. In response to the twin crises of biodiversity and climate, we are advocating collaboration and proposing local solutions to a global challenge to create long-term prosperity.
Our growth speaks for itself—ALUS has gone from a small group of farmers in 2006 to a national network of more than 38 communities in six provinces, bringing together over 1,600 farmers and ranchers nationwide.
We provide outstanding career opportunities and a phenomenal collaborative culture where creativity, passion, integrity and transparence are key values. Our workforce is filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. We want to grow together, and we have a clear vision of the future.
ALUS is a tightly knit team, but has always been and always will be a remote organization. You can work from your home and enjoy a flexible schedule, with some opportunities to travel within Canada.
COMMITMENT TO EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
At ALUS, we strive to create a welcoming, safe and respectful workplace where people of all experiences and backgrounds can thrive and reach their full potential. Our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) principles are reflected in our human resources practices, communications, programs and partnerships.
ALUS believes that all people are entitled to equal employment opportunity. It is the policy of ALUS that all personnel actions including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, and terminations will be taken without regard to race, age, religion, marital status, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, ancestry, sexual orientation, or any other class protected by law. ALUS is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of discrimination based upon any of these factors.
We invite applicants to request accommodation, as required, throughout the application and hiring process.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please submit your resume and cover letter in PDF Format, as one document with your name in the title, to [email protected] on February 18, 2024, at the latest.
- Due to the volume of applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- References will be requested and vetted at a later date.